[Tig] Premature Death of SR

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Tue Mar 22 04:49:42 GMT 2011

>It does seem that all of the best work is (still) being done on film, clearly there is no shortage.

There continues to be some beautiful work done on film.

But I'd also like to point out that a feature like Avatar, which I really
liked, would have been virtually impossible to do on film in the same time
frame for the same budget (as expensive as it was) with the same quality.

For many decades, the people who make neg felt little pressure to make their
stock better; they were the only game in town for high end images, which
causes people to be lazy and shortsighted. They were blindsided by HD because
they thought they were in the film business when in fact they were in the
image acquisition business.

Yes, there has been major improvement in film stock quality in the last
fifteen years, but it begs the question: where the hell were these people for
the previous fifteen (or thirty) years?

People are not going to shoot film because there is no SRW stock available.
They are going to select another way to store their digital images, whether on
solid state cards like SxS or P2 or SDHC, or onboard recorders like the Stwo,
or codex, or KiPro, and so on. And thanks to SSD's, uncompressed recording
devices are coming out of the woodwork at a rapid pace.

Film has been around for more than 100 years. It only took a dozen years to
start from essentially nothing and get to Alexa. A dozen years from now, there
will be digital cameras which make the Alexa look like the Gocam. Film will
have the same status in the image industry as vinyl records have in the sound
industry - there will be a cult following, and small runs of neg will be made
for special projects, but mainstream acceptance will be essentially zero.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

DIT and Video Controller extraordinaire.
The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE® compositing.©

High quality images for more than three decades - whether you've wanted them or not.©