[Tig] Premature Death of SR

Martin Sansom martinsansom at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:38:41 GMT 2011

Interesting discussion but in my opinion the aesthetic appreciation of the
images we deal with has been overlooked.There has been a magnificent irony
in the last thirty years since I started as a colourist, there was a time
when engineers, telecine operators, online editors et al would work long
hours into the night extracting fractions of a percentage of performance
improvement out of analog components in order to get the best out of the
film that the image had been acquired from and the CRT domestic television
that the viewer watched at home, it was the creed to constantly raise the
bar in terms of image quality because the acquisition and distribution
devices were capable of displaying more than the post production devices
could process. That's all changed now, it's flat screen compressed digital
hell, the viewer watches TV on a device that comes nowhere near the look
of a CRT television and now with digital acquisition colourists spend more
time faking the film look ( more artificial grain anyone? ) just as well
we have these fancy do everything colour correctors, i need all those
windows and plug ins in order to con the viewer (and the client) into
believing that the image they're watching has more dynamic range that it
actually has, rarely do I finesse a look from film anymore, instead I have
to drag it kicking and screaming from a camcorder on steroids.
Television audiences, the final arbiters of our work, have dumbed down
their expectations of us and what we do, apparently they would rather have
a thousand channels of artifact laden digital mush than sumptuous high
quality imagery, and we, the purveyors of those images have likewise done
the same, apparently for the same reason, we've always been under the
thumb of the bean counters but the ongoing argument on here shows in my
opinion that the accountants have hijacked my gamma curve and I can't
afford the ransom.

Martin "might as well grade it on a Kindle" Sansom.
Colourist at large.