[Tig] A Colourist's Lament.

Martin Sansom martinsansom at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 12:35:21 GMT 2011

Further to my earlier gripe about digital acquisition and display I also
have an issue with the way the global standardisation of technology has
been part of a process that has led to a global generic look to what we
do. I've worked in sixteen different countries and had pretty much the
same conversation in all of them, it goes something like this;

Me: So how do you want it to look?

Client: Well what we want is a sort of slightly de-saturated look with no
contrast at all, sort of natural with no stylisation anywhere.

Me: You mean a one light? you know, when the colourist just equalizes
everything so the DOP, the editor, the director and the director's best
friend's hairdresser's labradoodle can see everything that was shot before
making it look good? you know, bland?

Client: Yep, that's the one, it's a very popular look, everyone's using
that look.

Me: That would explain why you've booked half an hour to grade four
commercials then.

Client: Well the thing is we've got 5000 Baht/Lira/Rupees/Mexican Jumping
Beans to do all the post so spending time making it look nice isn't really
possible but it doesn't matter as we've told the client that it's the
natural film look, they've bought into it and we still get to call
ourselves creatives, why are you laughing?

Me: Never mind, oh look the sushi has arrived, you better tuck in, we're
almost done.

Client: Great, nice working with you, do you have a showreel?

Me: Yes but you wouldn't like it.

Regards to all Colourists,

Martin.