[Tig] Counterpoint

Martin Sansom martinsansom at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:31:58 GMT 2011

Enjoyed your post Dave, some things I agree with, some I don't.

"It seems European styles tend to like less contrast and saturation most
likely due to the sunlight qualities in northern Europe"

Don't entirely agree, there's a more prosaic reason for this which is
MONEY, in the late eighties the london advertising agencies got together
and imposed an all round fifteen percent reduction in the amount they
spent on post, they'd had enough of production companies going way over
budget on hugely indulgent expensive commercials by the likes of Tony Kaye
etc, remember him? I graded a few of his epics, a million feet of film
shot for one 40 second spot, it took four days to do the best light, the
film was delivered in shifts because we didn't have the space to store it
all and the post house I was at was famous for not giving
discounts.Something had to give, and long sessions of interesting look
creation was one of them, hence the move to a simpler, less time
consuming, less expensive look. This also coincided with the appearance of
the Spirit telecine, clever machine but in my opinion was the spawn of
satan when it came to creating interesting
looks.

"and I noticed while in Australia in 2007 that they preferred the more
subtle grade but still with bold exceptions on occasion"

Yes I agree, I too worked in Australia in 2007 (where were you working?)
and they liked to mix it up, but I felt this had as much to do with the
pecking order of production companies as much as anything else, the top
guys could play with the look, the others had to bang em out quick and
cheap.

" While in India last year skin tone was king as there is a concerted
marketing effort led by star Shah Rukhkhan to actually lighten one's skin
with creams."

Last year? I was there in 2000 till 2002, apparently I was the first
westerner in town and skin lightening was a must for everything I worked
on not just the actual cosmetic products that do it, the whole subject of
skin lightening is worthy of its own message board never mind a thread on
here. It's a socio-cultural phenomena not a look creation trend.

"The clients there were very receptive to defocused highlights, vignettes
and blues in the blacks et al."

Vignettes yes, blues in the blacks yes, but defocused highlights?
fascinating, they hated that when I was there, defocusing anything was a
complete no no, times have changed.

"I too feel the pain of the end consumer not knowing or caring."

Don't agree, there are a lot of amateur enthusiast colourists out there
using photoshop and the like on their own photos and videos, whether they
care or not is a matter of opinion but a lot of consumers these days are
aware and informed as to what colour correction is.

Regards,

Martin.