[Tig] Bearer of bad news.

simon astbury simonastbury at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:56:06 BST 2011

Agreed, in the UK the industry went through a big contraction when Betacam became the choice for newsgathering. Several big labs were bust in a few months.Again in the UK many production companies have their own post, not least the BBC. They still need staff to operate it though !However, one of the aspects of post still seems to be going strong here, and that is Audio and picture finishing, (luckily for me).Offline, tape dubbs, standards/ framerate conversion, up and down-res... all of these can now be done by the client or are just not needed anymore.
I think in the States you will see a big contraction in the number of dailies colorists as fewer productions shoot on film, we have already gone through this in the UK. On the other hand there will be an increased demand for DITs. Swings and roundabouts.
Simon Astbury