[Tig] Flattening Globe

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Wed Mar 30 22:50:40 BST 2011

On 30-Mar-11, at 2:40 PM, Fredric Mushel wrote:

> small time jobs that would go to small boutiques or even "one man"
> companies.

Consider also that some of us skill people simply have seized the
opportunity to make the technology work for us instead of the other
way around.  With the combination of hardware/software available to
accomplish on our own terms what we used to do inside the hierarchy,
if you're willing to put up with all the demands of running your own
business, chasing invoices, paying taxes, cleaning bathrooms...
juggling an ever-increasingly busy schedule is also something that
needs to be prepared for.  If you were that person that was
attracting the business, it becomes more obvious sooner or later as
the people who care about the same things make the migration.  Is it
any way to live just pounding out the hours at the behest of the
uncaring?

Most of doing business is a social interaction according to some
gurus.  While its beyond argument that some technologies do
"obsolete", maybe its worth considering that not all of what we
specifically do should be tied to any particular method of doing
things.  The railroads forgot that what they do is move cargo, so
while they focussed on operating trains, their clientele was looking
for other ways of moving things faster, farther, and maybe somewhere
that the trains couldn't go.  And so the planes and tractor-trailers
did.  (But maybe trains will make a comeback!)

At the end of the day, the way to make the phone ring is to dial
numbers.  Or is that just a sucky platitude?

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H0N4