[Tig] 7D with Log-C

trovak at comcast.net trovak at comcast.net
Mon May 16 18:38:23 BST 2011

These will be the Technicolor profile.

Tom
----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Leffel" <craig at optimus.com>
To: trovak at comcast.net
Cc: "tig" <tig at colorist.org>
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 12:33:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Tig] 7D with Log-C

Hey Tom -

CML HDSLR has been lit up with this topic for the last 2 weeks. I haven't worked off the new technicolor profile, but I have use the similar one that was privately made a long while ago - can't remember name, begins with an M.
The general consensus is that you don't gain that much as the H264 codec sort of falls apart when you try and apply 8bit Log-c to it. My own personal results with testing and playing resulted in mushy, grainy images - using the profile in place during capture. My personal opinion as a colorist is to use a manual Log Exposure curve and dig into a "normal" H264 as much as you can. The Stu Machwitz method of shooting 7D performs pretty well under this method.

Ultimately, you'll see what you think...
Please report back. Stay away from working in a rec 709 profile, and you'll have some room.

CL

This has been a Mobile Transmission