[Tig] From DUI to Baselight

David Gibson filmcolourist at gmail.com
Tue May 17 23:42:35 BST 2011

Hello Ricardo - I made this jump a few years back, albeit from a spirit/2K+ to Baselight4, but I remember the transition pretty well.

I tried to make similar analogies at the start, especially in the area you are talking about, but you're better off making a clean break from the past rather then try to emulate old DaVinci grading habits. As I understand it, the entire "Film Grade" tool set, of which EXP/CON/SAT is but a small part, was designed specifically with traditional lab graders in mind, folks who used to grade prints on hazzletines or similar and had access to tool sets like exposure and contrast, as well as RGB bump stops. If you look about in the Film grade tool set, you'll see hi-lights and shadows as well as a bunch of other useful controls.

The Video Grade tool set is a much closer analogue to a DaVinci style of grading, being very similar, but there is no equivalent of the telecines RGB PECs or the Spirits RGB black and white matching. It was one of the things I missed straight away, and have often thought it would be an interesting addition to have something like it on the Baselight, especially for badly scanned neg say. In truth you can just use layer 1 video grade to do this to the same ends, but not as elegantly.

Back to your original question though - I've seen people use the film grade tool set and other don't at all, there is no right or wrong, if you like them use them, but understand that they are as powerful as grading in RGB Blacks, gammas, whites etc.

As far as ordering your grading, video grade, hue angle, custom curve, shape etc.... there is no hard and fast rules, although it goes without saying that a video grade before any type of secondary is a sensible practice, but not set in stone.

My advice on this side of things, would be use more layers, with less corrections on each layer, this way it's easier to unpick a grade later on. For example, you might have a video grade on layer 1, a hue angle on layer 2 and a shape on layer 3 then a 6 vector on layer 4. Now you certainly could have had achieved this in less layers and at times why not, but I find it faster to stack up 6 or 9 layers with a separate grade tool on each layer. Other colourists might get to the same place in 3 layers, by having multiple grades on each layer. Again the choice is your's, you'll find a pattern that works for you and lets you work in a way that complements your previous linear grading experience but that at the same time embraces the wonderful world on non-linear grading, and once you've done a few jobs on the Baselight you won't look back again....

I still think the RGB PECs would be a nice edition though........

Dave Gibson
Senior Commercial Colourist
Digipost NZ

Disclaimer: I'm a recidivist Filmlight user, but I do not work for them and do not receive any kind of payment from them.