[Tig] From DUI to Baselight

Craig Leffel craig at optimus.com
Wed May 18 00:40:50 BST 2011

Dave -

I've heard very similar thoughts from a number of colorists, even
defining each layer "group" as Hue Angles, low, mid and high -

But I would say you should put some time into the Tech Grade tool and
the Telecine Grade tool. I'm one of the colorists you mention that does
multiple tools per layer, and I prefer it that way... stack management -
especially with Truelights, looks, blends and comps gets tricky quickly,
and I like having a set pattern to how I work. Layer 1 is always Tech
grade - and it's usually set to 1.0 or linear (2.0 is default and
emulates 2.0 gamma curve - no reason to use it this way when you can
force that curve in Film Grade and have more range). This becomes an
exposure tool that is linear like the illumination tool in the Spirit,
or even PECs. Your middle wheel becomes Black management and your right
wheel becomes whites management. You can manually define your own
exposure curve working this way, and it comes in real handy for Log-c
footage or even Canon H264's that you need to force some range into.
It's incredibly handy for Red footage as well, as long as you set the
decode to RedLog. Layer 2 is always Telecine Grade, and this very
closely emulates Spirit primaries. There's even a Sat control in this
tool, and you can pre-bend an image to your will if you need to fix
something, or lean the image a certain way for a look you're going for.
THEN my layer 3 is my Film and Video controls, as well as curves, hue
angle, etc. Layer 4 starts shapes. I put Truelights at the bottom of my
stack so that I can switch Truelights when necessary, instead of an
overall global.... but I use Truelights as stock emulation for looks,
not for film outs. Looks, temp degrain, sharpness, softness, etc. all
refer back to individual layers. and it makes it a really powerful way
to work. Floating point within the stacks cannot be overlooked.
Massively powerful... but it can disappear depending on how you order
your stacks... or you can force it to be limited in that once a
Truelight comes in, like an Arri Lut, you can make that your new start
point and force all other tools to look there.

I'm rambling, but stack management and being able to reach under your
tools and grab exposure or a telecine style tools becomes incredibly
powerful and handy. Limiting yourself to just video tools seems very
limiting... but like you said everyone will use it differently and find
their own way with their own taste. There are no rules, merely suggestions.

Just my 2 cents as always -

Happy Knobtwisting -

CL