[Tig] An OLED Story

Simon Brazzalotto brazzalotto.simon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:38:40 BST 2011

On 25/10/2011, at 12:38 PM, Ian Richardson wrote:

> An OLED story.
>

>            Please note here, that this is NOT what I was seeing with my eyes, to me the OLED still looked slightly Magenta.
>

> I submit. For some reason my eyes are NOT seeing the OLED as other people and 'some' meters indicate, yet there is no issues with Tube, Plasma and LCD displays.

I'm a colourist with ABC TV in Sydney.  Usual disclaimers apply - I don't represent any company or manufacturer, I just try to push the slow-moving custard of bureaucracy to keep our kit somewhat up to date.

If I may offer an anecdotal observation:

When I was at SMPTE this year I went into Sony's darkened room to see the new OLED monitor side by side with a tired CRT and a mushy LCD.  The SR demo tape put up a test signal and the voice over said "As you can see the monitors have all been aligned."  To my eye the CRT and the LCD were similar but most definitely magenta.  If I concentrated solely on the OLED I couldn't fault the colour balance.  When taking an overview of the 3 monitors I could almost say that the OLED looked ever so slightly green.  This was most likely my colour perception being influenced by the magenta monitors on either side but no-one on the stand was willing or able to confirm whether the phenomenon I perceived was inherent to the OLED technology, but then I didn't expect them to, I just had fun asking.

Other punters in the viewing room agreed that the CRT and LCD were both magenta.

It is to be expected that no two people will perceive colours in exactly the same way because of physiological and neural differences but I'm wondering if there are other factors at play.

Ian, do you wear vision glasses and if so do they have any anti-glare coating or photo tinting?

I wear glasses and decided to get them without these options as I noticed that anti-glare coating in particular reflects a slight rainbow tint, my theory being that this reflection is some of the spectrum not getting to my eyes.  If you do wear glasses do you perceive the same difference between the monitors if you take the glasses off?  Do other people see the OLED as magenta in your digital camera photo?

Could it be that different display devices have spikes or dips in their spectral responses that interact differently with optical coatings on glasses and camera lenses?

Food for thought.

Regards,
Simon Brazzalotto
Colourist and Editor