[Tig] Film Timer Question

Jim Houston jdhouston at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 11 00:59:34 GMT 2012

On Dec 10, 2012, at 7:21 AM, wbpags <rickpags at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Quick question. FIlm Timers - what do they do exactly?  Am writing a term paper and want to explain the role.  For example, if I want to transfer a film for preservation purposes, what would the timer's role be on my transfer process? "

Film timers make decisions on the printer lights to be used for reproducing a movie from the original negative, including
the lights used for copying an original negative to an interpositive (IP) and for copying an original negative or an internegative (IN)
to a print stock -- the first case being called an Answer Print, the second being a Check Print.   Film Timers also provide a quality
control check on the appearance of the final product.  In preservation, a timer would determine the lights used in making
a protection IP, or in copying to the speciality Kodak archival films.  In making three strip separations, it is unusual these days
to make a recombined Print for a quality control check because of the expense, but if one were made, the film timer would be
involved.

Jim Houston
Pasadena, CA