[Tig] Vision3 50D in super-8 in--Ektachrome 100D Color Reversal Film 5285/7285 out/4K TV Series in

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Thu Dec 13 21:19:24 GMT 2012

On Dec 13, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Daniel Henríquez Ilic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Great news from Kodak, the beautiful stock : Kodak Vision3 50D (7203) will
> be released in super-8 cartridges since January 2013.
>
> http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About/News/2012/Dec11_1.htm
> http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Production/Spotlight_on_Super_8/Super_8mm_Products/index.htm

Unfortunately, the ability to directly project color reversal camera original stock is on the way out.

Kodak announced yesterday it was discontinuing Ektachrome 100D Color Reversal Film 5285/7285 in all gauges, 35mm to Super8.
Today, Kodak is announcing the discontinuance of KODAK EKTACHROME 100D Color Reversal Film 5285/7285. Due to lower sales and limited customer usage, combined with highly complex product formulation and manufacturing processes, it is no longer possible to continue supplying this color reversal film stock to our motion picture customers.

Based on the current sales pace, supplies of the KODAK EKTACHROME 100D Color Reversal Film are expected to be available in the market for the next three to four months; however, inventories may run out before then, depending on demand. Every effort will be made to ensure fair distribution to all customers; therefore, order restrictions may be necessary.

This discontinuance does NOT impact any other Kodak Motion Picture Product

Read more: http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About/The_Storyboard/4294970514/index.htm#ixzz2EsSPi8Rj

This appears to be the last color reversal motion picture film Kodak makes:
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Production/Color_Reversal_Films/index.htm

It announced the discontinuance of reversal film for still photos earlier this year.

The consumer products section no longer seems to list film.

Pro still film and various motion picture films are listed.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/filmsIndex.jhtml?pq-path=13319
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Production/index.htm
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Lab_And_Post_Production/index.htm
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Distribution_And_Exhibition/index.htm

I September, Fuji announced it was ending production of most motion picture film:
http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n120913.html

Fuji continues to make color reversal film for stills:
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/films/color_reversal_films/

And as film offerings shrink, TV series being shot in 4K are popping up on the current schedule:
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/64186/television-production-moves-forward-in-4k?

That will have an effect on colorists and facilities, as more storage and higher-horsepower technology and backup strategies will be needed.

Ted

Ted Langdell
flashscan8.us
iPhone: 	(530) 301-2931