[Tig] New Super8mm film-- What about new cameras and scanners---

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Thu Dec 13 21:35:32 GMT 2012

On Dec 13, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Daniel Henríquez Ilic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Great news from Kodak, the beautiful stock : Kodak Vision3 50D (7203) will
> be released in super-8 cartridges since January 2013.

> It would also be great that if a new camera (with PL mount for 16mm lenses)
> could be released for this format.

As for new Super8 cameras with PL mounts... I'd suggest it's too small a market for more than modifications of existing cameras.

On Dec 13, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Daniel Henríquez Ilic wrote:
<snip>
> Hopefully more high-end scanners will be able to handle super-8, soon.

High-end as in at the Scanity end?

I don't think you'll see that as the demand isn't enough to make a market that will sustain research, development and production.  It's one reason why the scanners are priced they are and why gates are pricey for the relatively small amount of use they would likely get.

There are companies making scanners for the archival and consumer film transfer markets, and some of them are quite good, particularly for the price.

Real-time 2K+ scanning is available for even Super8 film, and as sensor technology and pixel processing power increases, I think you'll eventually see 4K real-time emerge.

The German company I represent makes several units that span several different gauge ranges.  Schel Kuehnert from the Digital Vision division of Image Systems popped in to mention the GoldenEyeIII. New devices are showing up from time to time.

I'd keep an eye out on the archival scanner marketplace, as that's were the most film needs to be transferred, going on from here.

Hopefully, the institutions that have the film will be able to find funding to do the work that's needed, whether in-house or with service providers.

I'll stop before I cross into advertising or promotion.

Cheers!

Ted

Ted Langdell
flashscan8.us