[Tig] Film Timer Question

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Fri Dec 14 03:55:09 GMT 2012

On 12/13/12 2:13 AM, "Phil Ashton" <p_ashton at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>  Technicolor labs had a "graduated light change" introduced in the early
> 2000's which did that, but was limited in its execution and was best used on
> small changes within action scenes so steps weren't visible, or for smoothing
> out blacks between logos etc. Phil AshtonFormer Grader, Tec London Disclaimer:
> Other film laboratories are available!
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

I seem to recall that Fotokem in Burbank did this first: have the ability to
do graduated color and density dissolves photochemically, right around
2000-2002. Technicolor found out about it and figured out a similar scheme a
year or two later, after clients and studios insisted on avoiding a hard
"notch" in timing changes.

I can remember it was a pleasure getting in Interpositive elements for
features and trailers where you didn't have to fight timing changes in the
middle of dissolves, during digital video transfers.

--Marc Wielage
  freelance colorist at the moment