[Tig] RIP Luke Rainey

Jack James jack at surrealroad.com
Tue Dec 18 18:55:54 GMT 2012

Hi all
I bring sad news. Colorist Luke Rainey (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1054717/)
passed away this morning after a long battle with health problems.

I personally worked with Luke in 2001 on Band of Brothers and again in 2006
on Earth. From the first time I met him he struck me as the
most authoritative colourist I'd ever met, and was able to truly make the
colour correction process about artistic sensibilities as opposed to purely
technical ones. He had the technicalities nailed too, and worked on a
variety of systems from the Pogle to the Nucoda, Baselight, and Lustre. He
could determine the colour temperature of a patch of wall just by looking
at it, and he always got the "best" results (i.e., the ones the client's
didn't know they wanted) on every film that was lucky enough to have him. He
even mentored one of my good friends who then went on to become a great
colourist in his own right.

So long, Luke, and here's hoping the art of colour correction doesn't leave
with you.

--
Jack James <http://about.me/jackjames>, Surreal Road
Limited<http://www.surrealroad.com>