[Tig] Post your movies on Tig

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Mon Feb 6 03:51:51 GMT 2012

Hello Barend,

On Feb 5, 2012, at 7:01 AM, Barend Onneweer wrote:

> only encountered moire in 3 or 4 shots, which was easily fixed. I rendered
> the denoised 5D material to 10-bit dpx's and brought them back into
> Scratch. The difference was pretty dramatic. I could easily pull keys for
> selective grading and the blacks came out a lot cleaner.

Doing the NR at the earliest stage of the grading does make a difference, I've found.  Can you describe how you fixed the moiré, and what caused it in the first place?

> I graded on my own Scratch system on a JVC RS-60 projector calibrated to
> Rec709 with Cinespace / Davio / Hubble. I delivered Rec709 dpx to the DCP
> creation company where it was converted to P3 using a LUT and we checked
> the DCP on their Barco before sending it off to Venice.

Wouldn't you have preferred to grade in P3, and derive the 709 from that?  It seems like converting 709 to P3 is working backwards, though there may be something I'm missing here.

> Grading was done in
> about 10 days. During the process we always assumed we'd end up putting
> grain back in. But in the end we chose to keep the image clean, and we only
> added a tiny bit of grain to eliminate the risk of banding showing up
> somewhere down the line.

Banding as in quantizing or bit loss?  I'm curious also how you added the grain.

> The film gets a small-scale release in The Netherlands in April. Don't know
> about international release, but there's an international sales agent in
> place.

Best of luck with the film's release.

Rob

Rob Lingelbach   http://rob.colorist.org