[Tig] To LUT or Not to LUT

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Fri Feb 17 05:32:05 GMT 2012

Some interesting comments from LA Light Iron Digital's Michael Cioni, who
reveals how they avoided using traditional LUTs for the recent 4K/5K film
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO during their workflow and post process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qztrb9arZl4

Instead, they debayered the R3D files to 4K DPX log files, set to
RedLogFilm, and then used custom curves on their Pablo color corrector, with
linear color grading, all viewing in P3 color space in a projector.  (This
is about a 35-minute presentation; the LUT conversation starts around 28
minutes in.)  He says what I've said for years, in that a LUT is whatever
you want it to be -- and that in some cases, the LUTs can work against you
and actually slow the process down.

Very interesting point of view, and Michael is a very articulate and
passionate spokesman for 4K post.  I have no doubt his thoughts will be
controversial, but Cioni makes a good case for what they did, and the film
obviously did well (and was nominated for several Oscars).

--Marc W.