[Tig] To LUT or Not to LUT

Michael Bittle mlbnyc at verizon.net
Fri Feb 17 16:43:37 GMT 2012

Hmm, I'd like to see a study that compares total time to correct (dailies through delivery) for both color correct from RAW and color correct with various LUTs, I suspect some surprising results.

<long story from old windbag starts here>

Back in the day, when I was working the development of the Patriot missile, we hand wrote our sections to contract proposals and handed them to the department secretary to type.  You'd make some changes and go back.  If you hadn't locked it down on the third  pass you career (and possibly your physical well being) was in jeopardy.

Fast forward a few years and Wang Word Processors are the rage.  I'm working for a DoD think tank that has a room full of Wangs and <yes we called them> Wang Bangers. Clearly pre-policital correctness.  The point, though, is that is was so easy to make changes we couldn't stop making changes and it took forever to lock down a document and get it out.

<end grey haired rumination>

Sometimes the tool that seems like a shortcut isn't after all.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike Bittle
Principal
M. L. Bittle - New York
mlbnyc at verizon.net
http://www.mlbnyc.com

COO
Attend LLC
mikeb at attendllc.com
http://www.attendllc.com

"Science, it turns out, is not an exact science." - Mike Bittle