[Tig] Alexa. Lut or no Lut

Carl Skaff carl at stopp.se
Fri Feb 17 21:54:23 GMT 2012

I was thinking more to put the Lut IN the grading. On a node.
That way you can decide to grade before, after or even take down the
opacity of that node.

I believe that Arri says that you pretty much have to use the (by them
provided) Lut to get the image right.
(could be wrong, I just remember a YouTube-clip from IBC2011 from
Arri-booth talking of how important it is to load the Lut)

I usually don't load it.
Sometime I load it just for fun. Then match it manually (-ish). But the Lut
does something nice I have to say. Although not all the time. Sometimes it
just looks horrible.
Sometimes I looks nice with how it adds contrast without punching the
blacks but instead the lower midds.

On one job I was grading 22 spots.
For one of them I loaded the Lut to have a look. And then the director
said: 'oh that's excellent, what did you do'
So for that I used the Lut all thorough it.
And also for a couple of similar spots.
It was on a beach in south Africa. And the Lut made the sky and water pop
out quite nicely.

/Carl

(Sent from mobile device)
*Carl Skaff*