[Tig] QC a DCP

Rogério Moraes rogermamo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 20:07:35 GMT 2012

...and back to the LUT and RGB2XYZ threads. Most DCP softwares come with a
player to play out you .j2c , 12 bit, XYZ, 2.6 gamma (wow) material and to
check if anything went wrong right after packging (though many only support
8 bit play). But, for a proper QC in my opninon, this should be done in
 the environment the DCP was supossed to play, A.K.A, a digital cinema
theatre, with a a calibrated DLP projector, and a (or two) trained human
eye present etc. Also, most  DCP softwares do come with a basic Rec.709 to
DCI compliant XYZ  color space conversion LUT. In the (not so) old days
when we (I) graded DPX for film out, I had to check my monitor in the
grading suite, run to the lab projection room, and to a certain degree say:
"... ok, we're almost there" . We kind of joked, because it was then we
"used" our LUT: a lab technician, in charge of the printer, to better
calibrate it so it matched with a fair good accuracy what I was seeing in
my monitor (giving lots of headroom to the video and film color space
changes). Never had the opportunity to do a " butterfly" check on a printed
material. wich is and was the best solution. But as far as your question
goes, I think that will be the differential that companies that offer DCP
services will have: a good Quality Check *person*, in my opinion, a trained
colorist, to validate not only the integretiy of the DCP, but the final
asthetical result, that was intendend in the master suite by him, the DOP
and Director.

Rogério Moraes

--
Rogério Moraes