[Tig] LED Bias Background Lighting and CRI

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Jun 6 19:14:38 BST 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Thomas Maier wrote:

> We wanna pimp up our grading suite and i am looking for a new kind
> of bias background lighting. My dream is a LED based setup. No tubes
> anymore, please. (I don't like mercury!)

I don't think that you want either mercury or LEDs for bias background
lighting.  Mercury is spectrally peaky and LEDs are spectrally pure in
their peakyness by nature.  While the illumination may seem ok to the
human eye, it would actually be distorting what you see.
LED-stimulated white phosphor is likely ok since then you would have
the spectral properties of the phosphor rather than the LED.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn