[Tig] Grading Considerations (web vs. broadcast)

Owen Williams owen at ywwg.com
Thu Jun 14 13:16:37 BST 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 15:40 +0900, LARY MICHAEL THOMAS wrote:

> What considerations do you take into account when grading for the web,
> particularly with content that will also be broadcast?

I usually crush the blacks more with web content than I do for
broadcast.  Most computer LCDs have very poor black levels, and
otherwise wonderful shadow detail ends up looking like noise.  I also
usually boost saturation quite a bit.

Beyond that, I know a lot of people also apply heavy denoising to make
compression more effective.  Since video gets bitcrushed when it gets
reencoded, it's going to get smoothed out anyway -- better to have some
control over the process.

Owen Williams
--
Co-Founder / Colorist