[Tig] Grading Considerations (web vs. broadcast)

Cem Ozkilicci cemoz101 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 21:30:17 BST 2012

Hi Mike,

I feel like grading for the web is somewhat of an impossible task. Most of my clients have MacBooks and I doubt any of them took the time to calibrate their displays, so most of them are using the default color profile: 'Color LCD' which really is not sRGB but a profile which is designed for Apple displays.

You can see this for yourself by comparing the color profiles on a Mac using the Color Sync tool under Utilities. Color LCD has a smaller color gamut compared to sRGB.

Obviously, if it is web content, we have the issue of different gammas between Macs and PCs, different compression schemes, bitrates etc...

I've seen commercials I've graded on various websites, some looked close to what it should be and some were dreadful and did no justice to the work done. This happened simply because 3rd parties decide to re-encode the 'master web deliverable' in different compression schemes and bitrates that basically make the 'web-version' grade utterly useless.

Then there is of course the issue of which player you will be using to show your material. If someone chooses to download your web content and play it locally on their computer, then there is another factor: the media player they will use. VLC has a different output compared to Quicktime 7. And yes, there are differences between QT 7 and QT X.

So as Bob said... Good luck! :)

Cem

Cem Ozkilicci
Colourist