[Tig] New "Look" or not?

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Thu May 3 05:55:57 BST 2012

On 5/2/12 3:45 PM, "trovak at comcast.net" <trovak at comcast.net> wrote:

> Not even dailies today. It's what ever LUT they came up
> with on set, under what ever lighting and what ever monitor they judged that
> look on, and by who ever adjusted it. I had an agency producer say one time
> say he created the look for the spot on the RED camera on set, so they just
> needed me to make sure each shot was balanced, but not to create the look.

That's sad.  The monitors I see on set are all over the place!  I just
recently finished some work on a documentary out here in LA, and I was
appalled at how much both the AC and the DIT would casually reach over and
fiddle with the monitor settings whenever they felt like it.

"Calibration?  We don' need no stinkin' calibration!"

I think we're at the point where there's four different looks:  the look in
the on-set monitor, the look in dailies (too often an iPad), the look in
editing, and then the "real" look in final color correction.  The problem
is:  none of them match!

It's the Wild West out there...

--Marc W.