[Tig] 8bit vs 10bit for TV

Carl Skaff carl at stopp.se
Thu May 3 22:20:24 BST 2012

In grading we strive to get realtime performance. A few years ago HD was
possible in a non-linear suite. But we preferred SD if we needed to to a
lot of blurred keys.

A couple of years ago HD got as fast as SD used to be. And we sent had to
bother if the client wanted it delivered in HD or SD.
Now I don't care anymore. I do everything in HD wether the client needs it
it not.

Now we try to grade in 4K and are in some cases possible to to that. If I
is a TV-commercial we can grade in HD and then just change the resolution
when we start the render. The rendertime won't be days, maybe a few hours
at the top if it is a lot of material.

I seem to get some requests from online-guys that would prefere to get the
HD-DPX as 8but instead of 10bit.
Because they are working in 8bit anyway and just have to re-scale it
In Sweden we still deliver everything in SD, but at least we grade in HD so
they can downscale during online (so they can zoom if needed).

I'm I the only one getting requests to deliver 8bit HD-DPX? Or are other
colorist nagged on by online-people to deliver smaller files?

There seems to be a rule:
If it is already graded, there is no need for 10bit!

Feel free to comment either Pro or Against 8bit.

(note. this is only for non-vfx/greenscreen jobs that are targeted for TV.
Transmitted as 16/9-SD)

(Sent from mobile device)
*Carl Skaff*
Stopp Stockholm