[Tig] 8bit vs 10bit for TV

Carl Skaff carl at stopp.se
Thu May 3 22:20:24 BST 2012

In grading we strive to get realtime performance. A few years ago HD was
possible in a non-linear suite. But we preferred SD if we needed to to a
lot of blurred keys.

A couple of years ago HD got as fast as SD used to be. And we sent had to
bother if the client wanted it delivered in HD or SD.
Now I don't care anymore. I do everything in HD wether the client needs it
it not.

Now we try to grade in 4K and are in some cases possible to to that. If I
is a TV-commercial we can grade in HD and then just change the resolution
when we start the render. The rendertime won't be days, maybe a few hours
at the top if it is a lot of material.

BUT

I seem to get some requests from online-guys that would prefere to get the
HD-DPX as 8but instead of 10bit.
Because they are working in 8bit anyway and just have to re-scale it
otherwise.
In Sweden we still deliver everything in SD, but at least we grade in HD so
they can downscale during online (so they can zoom if needed).

I'm I the only one getting requests to deliver 8bit HD-DPX? Or are other
colorist nagged on by online-people to deliver smaller files?

There seems to be a rule:
If it is already graded, there is no need for 10bit!

Feel free to comment either Pro or Against 8bit.

(note. this is only for non-vfx/greenscreen jobs that are targeted for TV.
Transmitted as 16/9-SD)

/Carl

(Sent from mobile device)
*Carl Skaff*