[Tig] 8bit vs 10bit for TV

Cem Ozkilicci cemoz101 at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 23:06:45 BST 2012

Hi Carl,

I don't think I have encountered an online artist asking for material in lesser bit depth. Seems very odd, considering that even Digibetas are 10 bit. (Yes, 4:4:4 RGB 8 bit vs. 4:2:2 10 bit YUV has been an ongoing debate for years...! Let's not go there...)

Furthermore, I suspect that working from 8bit files, banding could easily be an issue, especially if you have gradients, vignettes or have used Gaussian blurs on certain parts of the picture.

I know that the earlier Smoke's on Mac were restricted to 8 bit so it would make sense if you are on an older Smoke, but the Linux based Autodesk machines still function internally and output at higher bit depths.

However, I too would be curious to hear if any other colourists have encountered such requests...

Cheers!

Cem

Colourist
Storyline Studios / Oslo