[Tig] 8bit vs 10bit for TV

peter_swinson at compuserve.com peter_swinson at compuserve.com
Fri May 4 12:16:42 BST 2012

Well, if you were to use film then 7 / 8 bit will usuallysuffice as the fine grain dither will more than mask any bit banding. Do youguys not dither the LSBs on digital gradients to overcome this issue. If the dither isa very fine totally random inter and intraframe pattern then it will preserve, to the viewer subtlegradients better than 8 bit. The human visual system is good at temporal integrationover several frames thus interpolating very fine gradients.  Or this is how it was way back when in my day!!

(I have never watched a film on LCD/ Plasma or an IPAD. Only on CRT or DLP, how sad am I ! )

Cheers

Peter