[Tig] IBC without TK

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Wed Sep 12 23:00:30 BST 2012

On Sep 12, 2012, at 2:48 PM, new-century at lineone.net wrote:

> Obviously pennies are a significant reason for the swing to digital
> but, in relation to what I recall was described as the "film look",
> what does the telecine community believe produced the best result -
> tubed or ccd tk's?

In terms of image quality in video, I never saw anything so beautiful as an ITK Millenium
II HD that was installed at Oktobor, Auckland New Zealand, in about 2005.  I believe
Andrew Clarkson was the colorist; Dean Lyon was the Head of Everything; and if I'm not
mistaken James Braid was the Engineer, along with Michael Orton as CTO.

At the time I'd been working for years on CCD telecines including 2k Spirits, and it seemed
amazing to see what we'd been missing-- the best tube-based well-tuned TKs have a depth to the
image, a lack of flatness, that bears remembering.

Many will say that the tradeoff in cost and maintenance is not worth it (tube-based machines
being notoriously tricky, and shifting color with time) but if the image is driving the opinion,
I still never forget what I saw in Andy's room.

--
Rob Lingelbach  http://rob.colorist.org