[Tig] TV Settings...

David Mackenzie lyris1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:12:09 BST 2012

Yes, the situation with regards to accuracy in consumer displays is nowhere
near as bad as it was 5-6 years ago. Nearly every HDTV on the market can at
least be configured to produce accurate outer colour gamut points, as well
as D65 greyscale and flat gamma.

All of the last Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and LG displays I've measured have
done pretty well in their "designed for accuracy" picture setting. The
trouble is, getting users to turn that on.

The next step is consumer education. For every person who emails us at
HDTVtest asking "How do I set my TV up properly", there'll be 20 others out
there watching their TV in the factory mode - because they like it that way
and find accurate video "too dull".

--
David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author