[Tig] TV Settings... (Cem Ozkilicci)

Richard Kirk richard at filmlight.ltd.uk
Fri Sep 21 08:56:22 BST 2012

> From: Cem Ozkilicci <cemoz101 at yahoo.com>
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19650769
>
> Interesting how they will manage to get this going.

Easy! Bring back the test card! Or have a cable/satellite TV channel
with a rolling set of test chart displays, funded by adverts for TV
equipment.

Right now we have a lot of conflicting display technologies, and a
continuous rush to bring out the biggest, brightest flattest TV. This
leads display engineers to try all kinds of hacks to make to hide the
worst faults of their model. Usually we end up with some sort of digital
filter that helps one sort of image, but harms another, so you get these
strange  "sport" modes or "film" modes on plasma sets. And the person
who buys them includes the Wide Boy in the pub who boasts about how big
his one is, and the number of functions it has, and how he can play
solitaire with the broadcast in a small window while the adverts are on.
I think everything will settle down when the display market has
stabilized a bit.

Until that happesns, we have the test chart. You cannot make a broadcast
test chart that checks the absolute white point or the colour of the
primaries, but you can check the tone curve pretty well. You can put up
a real image with things like flesh tones which will check that your
primaries are video-like. You probably won't see a 20% increase in
saturation, but you would know if you had a very intense LED red, but
the green and blue were not as bright, which would distort the colour
space. One new sort of test chart would probably have colour patches
that approached the video limits so you can see gamut clipping or
squashing if something is pulling the colour space off-centre.

Cheers.
Richard Kirk

--
FilmLight Ltd.  	Tel: +44 (0)20 7292 0400 or 0409 224 (direct)
Artists House,		Fax: +44 (0)20 7292 0401