[Tig] TV Settings

Riza Nur Pacalioglu riza at silver.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 14:59:06 BST 2012

Further to my earlier post on how Far Eastern tastes 'spoiling' the correct/standard display of images on modern TVs, I saw this article about iPhone 5's and Samsung Galaxy III's screen.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136669-samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-5-display-shoot-out-apple-wins-again

The display on both devices use almost the same technology and their colour gamut are very similar. Apple have calibrated their screen to display sRGB colour gamut, which is the computer/web display standard that is used on almost all computers and is less than what their display can show. Whereas Samsung had allowed the full available colour gamut, which is 40% more than sRGB. The result is vivid and over saturated colours while viewing images on the Samsung device.

This is a typical reaction from a Far Eastern manufacturer. They have a wide gamut display and they used it to the full without any regard to 'western' standards. For them more vivid colours the better it is.

This proves my point that unless we produce display devices in the west, be it smartphone or TV, the issue of correct colours will never be solved to our satisfaction.

Let's hope Apple enters the TV market :-)

Riza Nur Pacalioglu M.Sc.
Producer
Silver Productions, Salisbury, England
http://silver.co.uk