[Tig] TV Settings

Alexander Black root at turing.com
Tue Sep 25 17:20:31 BST 2012

With respect, I disagree with this analysis. This isn't a question of
preferences or "far east" - Samsung is too global a company to be pilloried
because of the location of their headquarters. They made a market decision
which I agree was incorrect, but it's not a whim. They know what sells TVs
in BestBuy, and they're trying to use it as an advantage. All the input
images - even the asset PNGs for the app UIs - are sRGB, so the display's
infrastructure just remaps and bingo, super saturated colors.

It could be the start of an attempt by Samsung to push forward on
colorspace and argue for a wider gamut. sRGB/709 is a tiny little sad piece
of crap compared to the displays that are available now. Doubt it,
unfrotunately, they're probably just doing the BestBuy thing, or they're
just being lazy.

_a

--
alexander black