[Tig] TV Settings

Alexander Black root at turing.com
Tue Sep 25 18:51:03 BST 2012

> You will have to defend your thesis against the historical precedent of
> reverse compatibility with NTSC/PAL and all that Y'CbCr stuff -- I mean,
> WHO really needs black & white compatibility anymore -- really?  I am fully
> aware that the consumer/electronics business model is entirely based on
> planned plus perceived obsolescence.  Unfortunate that the sector of the
> industry that observes standards *as negotiated* is perceived and pushed
> into obsolescence.  Perhaps its just Darwinian, but a world in which there
> are no rules is just a jungle and we shouldn't bother with pretending to be
> a civilization.

A larger colorspace does not in any way prevent emulation of all
colorspaces it contains.

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/3d/bt-3dl2550/color_chart.gif

If you draw a sufficiently large triangle, with your primaries, or you just
use XYZ, then you can simulate everything contained within.

_a

--
alexander black
turing: web applications