[Tig] TV Settings

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Sep 25 18:59:23 BST 2012

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Alexander Black wrote:

> A larger colorspace does not in any way prevent emulation of all
> colorspaces it contains.
>
> http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/3d/bt-3dl2550/color_chart.gif
>
> If you draw a sufficiently large triangle, with your primaries, or you just
> use XYZ, then you can simulate everything contained within.

That is true, but it will only work effectively if the display
hardware offers enough bits of color resolution, and if the display
hardware supports updating its LUT, or if it is possible to provide
many more than 8 bits of color resolution (e.g. 12 or 14 bits) to the
display.  In order to be cost effective, the display should be built
with the correct color primaries in the first place.  Color primaries
are baked into the hardware.

I have yet to see any of these cell phone display reviews do an
evaluation of the effective bits of color resolution.  Everyone is
looking at contrast levels, screen reflectivity, and color primaries.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn