[Tig] TV Settings

Alexander Black root at turing.com
Tue Sep 25 19:19:24 BST 2012

> A larger colorspace does not in any way prevent emulation of all
>> colorspaces it contains.
>>
>> http://pro-av.panasonic.net/**en/3d/bt-3dl2550/color_chart.**gif<http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/3d/bt-3dl2550/color_chart.gif>
>>
>> If you draw a sufficiently large triangle, with your primaries, or you
>> just
>> use XYZ, then you can simulate everything contained within.
>>

> That is true, but it will only work effectively if the display hardware
> offers enough bits of color resolution

Of course, I'm making the assumption that any push by manufacturers to a
larger colorspace would take *years* and by then the displays would
generally be 10bit+.

> , and if the display hardware supports updating its LUT, or if it is
> possible to provide many more than 8 bits of color resolution (e.g. 12 or
> 14 bits) to the display.  In order to be cost effective, the display should
> be built with the correct color primaries in the first place.  Color
> primaries are baked into the hardware.

I don't think it's far fetched at all to assume that if/when we see another
standard space, if it isn't just "XYZ and good luck" like DCI, then it will
be a larger space and it will assume higher bit depth displays, and 709
would obviously be a key "legacy" emulation target.

I have yet to see any of these cell phone display reviews do an evaluation
> of the effective bits of color resolution.  Everyone is looking at contrast
> levels, screen reflectivity, and color primaries.

Best I can find is a verification that the iPad 3, yes, wow, displays
actual 8 bit color! :)

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

_a

> Bob