[Tig] Resolve dvd dailies question

Owen Williams owen at ywwg.com
Wed Sep 26 15:01:45 BST 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-25 at 07:14 +0200, Cédric Lejeune wrote:

> I calibrated a Panasonic TH50BT300 plasma yesterday and it' looked
> very nice, managed to get spot on primaries and balanced greys (Rec709
> settings, D65 white point). The only annoying thing  while grading is
> that we get to see some kind of dithering on the subtel gradients
> giving slight purple/green on on the greys that tend to be less
> visible at what they call Normal color temp.

The purple/green banding can be a lot worse than subtle under many
circumstances.  From what I understand this is just part of how plasma
displays work and can't be avoided.  Calibration makes the problem
worse, in my experience.  The only solution I've found is to get a
secondary monitor for comparison that is not plasma.

Owen Williams