[Tig] NAB2013 Professional Monitors

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Wed Apr 17 23:58:08 BST 2013

>Many thanks Bob, just to clarify, the only two companies showing OLED technology were Sony and Ikegami ?

Panasonic had one behind a curtain, but it was a prototype (I hope). Did not
look very good in comparison to my low end but quite good looking PVM OLED
from Sony.

>I'm curious to see if LCD has improved, based on previous, painful experience, the only LCD monitor I would feel happy grading on is the Dolby.

The new Panasonic LCD IPS monitor looked pretty good. Colorimetry and off-axis
were much improved over previous models from what I could tell (I used to own
the 2550, which I quite liked as long as you kept your eyes in the center of
the screen).

>> Sony Featured a “New 4k OLED Technologies” area with a 56” QFHD 4k OLED monitor (available later this summer) along side a technology demonstration of a 30” OLED 4k monitor that is true 4k (4096 x 2160). No prices were announced, and no photos were allowed.

I heard $30-$35K bandied about for Sony's 4K OLEDs. As always, they were
somewhat interested in what people were willing to pay :).

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

DIT, Video Controller, and live compositor extraordinaire.

High quality images for more than three decades - whether you've wanted them or not.©