[Tig] Rick Montez Sr.

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Sun Apr 28 05:10:13 BST 2013

On 3/31/13 10:35 AM, "S. T. Nottingham III" <nottinghams3 at verizon.net>
wrote:

> I wish to let you all know of the passing of Rick Montez last Tuesday. Rick
> and I worked together for more than 30 years with Twentieth Century Fox. He
> started out working for Deluxe General Labs as a "can boy", and then years
> later at Worldwide Services - the mastering arm of TCF. Many of us that have
> been through the "Glory Days" of Telecine have worked with Rick at one time
> or another. I started working with him in 1980 while at Magnetic Video (AKA
> As Fox Video) in Livonia, Michigan. His mark on our industry has been
> tremendous and groundbreaking - he will be missed.
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

Just caught this message -- two weeks late!

Very sorry to hear about this.  Rick Sr. was a terrific guy, very passionate
and knowledgeable about the history of film, and an ideal client:  he had a
very good grasp of what was important, what the colorist needed to worry
about, what could be fixed, and how much time was probably needed.

I did mastering jobs for him going all the way back to 1980, on and off
through the late 1990s.  I missed him very much, particularly his great
attitude and terrific stories he used to tell about "the old days."
Definitely in the top 3 best studio clients I've ever had.

My sincere condolences to Rich Jr. and the rest of the Montez family.

--Marc Wielage
  post supervisor/occasional colorist