[Tig] Remote Grading

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Tue Mar 5 01:35:33 GMT 2013

On 3/4/13 12:43 PM, "David HJ. Lindberg" <david.hj.lindberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you have any tips on other applications that is safe from color shifting
> and that delivers a good framerate as well as resolution?
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

The key issue to me is: how do you know the client's monitor or projector is
calibrated correctly?  Unless you can guarantee that, all bets are off.

Jake Blackstone is a freelance colorist in LA who routinely does remote
grading with facilities in Russia and Paris.  But in that case, he has a
connection to that facilities' Resolve and drives, so everything he does is
mirrored in real time through an internet connection:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/community/communitydetails?UserStoryId=26505

In this case, the video isn't going over the net -- just the control of the
Resolve itself.  The media and hardware are actually with the client.

Note that Company 3 and eFilm here in LA have remote facilities in several
cities, where they can let clients look in on sessions with calibrated
monitors, using Skype or other connections to communicate back and forth
with the clients.

--Marc Wielage
Post supervisor / occasional colorist