[Tig] ProRes444 necessary when grading BW

Carl Skaff carl at stopp.se
Mon Mar 18 20:38:09 GMT 2013

Hmm

That's weirded. I've had the exact OPPOSITE experience.
I really prompt NOT to deliver Prores4444 (or any 444 codec) after I've
graded and they go into FCP.
>From my experience FCP doesn't work too well in a RGB world. (Unless you
know what you are doing)
I've seen issues where the image gets incorrectly translated regarding full
vs legal range and also the gamma would change.
And I get 'less' problems if I deliver 422hq.
At least I get less phonecalls from clients after I've graded if I give
then 422hq. If I go for 4444 the often call back and has issues with 'it
doesn't look the same in my laptop'.

A colleague of mine did a test to compare if Prores could 'replace' dpx or
tif in a professional posthouse. It would have been nice since it could cut
the bandwidth a lot. But unless you really (really really!) test and verify
all your pipeline with every software you will most likely mess up the
gamma/gamut.
Even the same software just different releases can make a big difference.
And even if you have the 'verified' software that you know works... If you
did a OSX or QT software update it could mess it all up anyway.

If you are interested in reading his 'blog post':
http://www.stopp.se/lab/?p=1621

Disclaimer.
I do work for Stopp.
But no connection to OSX or QT.