[Tig] Blackmagic Cintel Scanner

Jeff Kreines - Mindspring jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 7 22:30:31 BST 2014

Andreas:

Note that at $30K the Blackmagic UHD scanner includes a 35mm gate only.  16mm is optional, no other formats.  Computer not included, and probably needs a Mac Pro. Storage not included.  Note that UHD is not film 4K — the height of UHD is 2160.  It is unclear if you can alter the framing to capture optical tracks, edge numbers and other marginalia, etc.  The specs are not published yet.

It’s also not clear if it can handle dense film or contrasty film — remember, it’s designed by Cintel folks, whose specialty was color negative.  Most scanners (and telecines) don’t have the dynamic range to capture contrasty reversal originals (or prints) without compromise.  It doesn’t appear to be designed to have upgradable sensors, meaning you are locked into a sensor that may have been good in 2013, but may not be so great in 2017.

But it does have 18 rollers — very impressive, even if they are small-diameter and not full-support.  Optional non-real-time pin registered gate.  35mm gate as shown has sprockets with large wrap — not good for shrunken film.  No mention of audio.  Gate design is odd — apparently no fixed edge guide (a principle of cine camera design for over 100 years) but has ball-bearing rollers on both sides of the film — not good for film with any edge damage (can snag on the small rollers).

The price is indeed low — before Grant Petty bought Cintel he wanted to buy Kinetta, and his goal was a scanner that cost $25K and fit in a 25KG Fedex box.  He’s a friend and a master at “disruptive pricing.”   But in my opinion, it seems to be designed to fit into a colorist-centric world — primarily scanning new or recent color negative film, 16mm and 35mm only, and not extremely damaged, shrunken, or contrasty film.   It’s not an archival scanner.

If it works, and can handle contrasty materials, I’d probably get one for color negative work (though it’s funny how little we get at Kinetta Archival) if there was a big color negative job.  But I’d want to make sure all the sensor issues they have with their cameras have been sorted out (google them).

I am quite happy to see Blackmagic’s upgrade to Resolve — Resolve 11 comes in June.  My favorite software.

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff at kinetta.com
kinetta.com

Disclaimer:  I designed and build the Kinetta Archival Scanner, designed and built for the work film archives do every day.