[Tig] Canon 4K monitor

Robert Frye bcfrye at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 24 18:00:00 GMT 2014

Yes, the brochure for the Canon monitor has a graphic that shows all the relevant gamuts, but as it's an advertising piece,
there is no hard x,y coordinate data for any of the primaries.  Viewing this graph, it does show the native gamut of the
Canon to be larger than P3, however the green corners of the P3 spec and the Canon don't seem to line up exactly.
It appears that the P3 green primary lies just outside the native green of the Canon.  I'd love to measure it and see the
exact chromaticity coordinates.

From my time developing the PRM, I can tell you it's very hard to get all three corners of P3 precisely, to hit 100% of the spec.
We had to custom bin our RGB LEDs to get that to happen, and the PRM does hit P3 spec for all three primaries.  But it was
a challenge.

Carl, your comment that the technology behind the Canon being similar to the Dolby and the Barco is interesting on a couple
of counts…

- the Barco uses RGB LEDs, which is the only similarity between the Barco backlight and the Dolby backlight.  The Barco is
side scanning and not a dimming backlight at all…. where as the Dolby BLU is direct illumination and every single R, G, and B
element within each of over 1500 RGB triads is controlled algorithmically to dim per the content.   These two backlights
could not be any more dissimilar.

- regarding your comment about the Canon and Dolby being similar, well, there's a good reason for that, but I'm not at liberty
to say anything more about that.  But your intuition and observation is most interesting :)

I'll just say that I think Canon did a brilliant job with the DT-V3010, it has a great feature set, very good performance, and is coming
into the market at time when 4K monitoring will be a serious need and consideration for many folks.

Bob