[Tig] Canon 4K monitor

Robert Frye bcfrye at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 25 00:28:52 GMT 2014

Bob -

Absolutely - what was the common figure?  2 - 3 screen height was the proper distance to view a monitor.  In Japan, during our early prototype reveals of the PRM, we discovered that the colorists there typically sit 1 to 1 & 1/2 screen heights away... due mostly to the smaller rooms they work in… but interestingly enough, that's now the preferred 4K viewing distance!

We always recommended the surround walls to be 18% gray (grey??) for the best and most neutral color interpretation on screen.  Although you can imagine the variation in this that we found as we toured many different grading facilities around the world !!

And yes, once the monitor dominates the field of view, the surround becomes more a part of the colorist's peripheral vision and less affecting of their color perception on screen.
That doesn't mean we can have odd-ball colors in the surround walls of course :)   I'd bet even on the periphery, colors other than 18% gray will have some effect on the viewer.

Not to mention the beverages of choice that some folks like to consume :)  … pass me the lime please !

Bob