[Tig] Canon 4K monitor

David Corbitt dcorbitt77 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 25 14:34:49 GMT 2014

Viewing distance is determined by the resolving ability of the eye (visual acuity) and the density of pixels in the display. Visual Acuity is a measure of our ability to discriminate the finest detail: either by discriminating two parallel lines apart (Vernier acuity) or two tiny spots or stars apart (point discrimination). The human visual system is capable of acuity of 1 min of arc or 60 cycles/degree of visual angle. This is also the definition of 20/20 vision. The idea is to sit just far enough from the display so the individual picture element pixels are not detectable but not so far away that image detail of the finest size is still distinguishable from its neighboring detail dot. Too far away and the finest detail is combined with its neighbor by your retina, too close and the mechanical structure of display pixel elements become visible. I could quote all the mathematical formulae to determine ideal viewing distance but won’t at this time. Here’s a synopsis:
The rule of thumb that is commonly used for viewer distance calculations is

HD (1080)     3 picture heights

SD (625)       around 5 picture heights

SD (525)       around 6 picture heights

Since 4K will have approximately 2 x the number of visible scan lines the viewing distance works out to be 1 1/2 picture heights.

When I was at HBO Studios designing and building screening rooms for QC, I did a lot of research on this topic and created an in house white paper to describe in detail all the parameters needed to satisfy the bio-physical needs of the human eye. The above info is taken from that paper.

Dave Corbitt
http://tinyurl.com/lfezg3h