[Tig] Canon 4K monitor

Stojmenovik, Goran goran.stojmenovik at barco.com
Mon Jan 27 17:23:09 GMT 2014

David

Our RHDM reference monitor was able to cover the DCI P3 gamut with RGB LEDs.
The same statement goes for the Dolby monitor I believe.
I am not doing LEDs anymore, so not aware of any recent progress.

However, the LEDs by definition have a spread of wavelengths around the peak wl (even though it's much narrower than phosphors or lamps), so I don't expect that LEDs (or OLEDs for that matter) will be able to cover the Rec.2020 gamut, which defines spectrally pure colors (or just about).

What is the reason you mention NTSC 1953 gamut? I thought this was never adopted on a large scale and was superseded by the SMPTE gamut which is much smaller (for SD, but not hugely dissimilar from Rec.709). Just a question...

Best regards
Goran