[Tig] Canon 4K monitor

David Corbitt dcorbitt77 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 28 14:15:10 GMT 2014

Goran,

Original NTSC was very optimistic, very wide gamut compared to everything else until very recently, perhaps 40-50 years ahead of its time considering the available technology back in 1953. There were TV sets and monitors capable of reproducing that wide gamut but the brightness levels were considered way too low for the public so manufacturers fiddled with the Green and Red phosphors for more brightness and a much narrower color gamut and that’s where eventually SMPTE-C, EBU, and Rec 709 came from. The lack of standardization of display primaries during those unregulated market driven days was the cause of worldwide ridicule of NTSC (Never Twice the Same Color) as well as the analog encoding system prone to color phase errors. PAL/EBU fixed some of that but limited itself to a narrow gamut. I’m impressed with Rec 2020 for proposing a truly wide gamut (finally). I believe Samsung had a rear projection home display with 5 primaries using a DLP light engine that offered a large gamut according to a colleague of mine in the Los Angeles area (a well respected chief engineer and entrepreneur in high end post and 2D to 3D conversion). But it is no longer marketed. It used laser diodes for the 5 primaries.

I’m not saying NTSC primaries were widely adopted, just that the idea was good, implementation and regulation very poor.

Dave Corbitt
http://tinyurl.com/lfezg3h