[Tig] Largest video gamut?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Jan 29 15:13:47 GMT 2014

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Richard Kirk wrote:

> Perhaps the best solution is to stick with sensible primaries, and
> make the image brighter. That gives you a better sensation of colour
> if you stop at about 1000-2000 nits.

I am all for sensible primaries and everyone knows that brighter
images look better but the current trend is more like a Limbo dance
competition where there is competition is all about who can make the
darkest overall picture using the smallest range of bits.  :-)

Viewers will not be able to see the wonderful new colors of an
extended gamut unless the image is bright enough for humans to
perceive them.  Demonstration images are always bright but films/drama
are trending toward images more similar to the trailing end of "Zero
Dark Thirty".

If the display can not handle dark images then there is a problem.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn