[Tig] No more OLEDs -- WTF are we monitoring, exactly?

Kable, Anthony (AP - Australia) Anthony.Kable at ap.sony.com
Thu May 15 00:24:01 BST 2014

> Sony just announced they are discontinuing OLED production, which I assume applies to professional monitors.

To clarify before this rumour gets out of control, it has nothing to do with the professional OLED displays produced by the professional division Sony.

Sony continues to develop professional OLED panels and technologies and sells many thousand units per year.

This coverage comes from speculation reported in the Nikkei Asian Review stating that Sony is putting OLED consumer television development on ice.

The consumer television market is totally different and is in the many many million units per year. Consumers want larger and higher resolution displays, when you look at the market penetration the initial OLED TV's have had with their comparatively very high price points I think that it makes sense financially to be focusing the high end of consumer TV's on 4K LCD at the moment.

Disclaimer: I have no specific insight into the consumer TV segment and my comments represent my personal thoughts, but I can confidently state that the professional display division remains committed to OLED technology, production and development.

Regards,
Anthony Kable
Senior Product Manager
Sony Australia / New Zealand

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email or telephone and destroy the original message. - This mail is sent via Sony Asia Pacific Mail Gateway..