[Tig] more about: Re: The ugly side of DMARC

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Wed May 28 19:16:25 BST 2014

On May 28, 2014, at 1:01 PM, Ted Langdell <tedlangdell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Rob,
>
> Thanks for your efforts and investment of time. I don't think folks are aware of how much work you've put into understanding what's under the hood, and tweaking it to make for an easy user experience.

It enables me to keep abreast of networking while I’d otherwise be watching pre-code films.

> Kinda like the engineer in the post house the customer usually never sees but keeps the sessions running well for the colorist, editor and client.

There should be a Hall of Fame on the TIG for all the engineers who have done that.  I have a few in mind.
Why don’t we start an all-time HoF nomination process to add to the wiki?

> I also run a MailMan based list, and have been "required" to learn more about what's under the hood... as a result of the DMARC issues and some other somewhat related things.
>
> The ability to use MailMan is part of the webhost package I pay for annually, and run multiple sites from.
>
> What was at one time a fairly simple "set it up and watch it run" situation is now more work.
>
> And I don't particularly want to go shift the list to Google (and pay additional fees) or use YahooGroups, as has been suggested by one of my host's support staff as a workaround.  I think that might have its own set of problems I don't necessarily have time to triage.

I hear you.  And these groups are in existence in order to divert the users who are having trouble with DMARC into their particular for-profit (advertising) model.  Open source they are not.  A fellow TIGer mentioned to me today that GNU mailing list groups are relatively immune to DMARC because their subscribers don’t use the large commercial providers.  If I weren’t invested in and interested in building and configuration of Linux capabilities, I’d work with GNU (and of course I already do with GNU/Linux; Aquamacs; GNU software of every shape and color; and a personal, colorful relationship with Richard Stallman :)

Rob TIG admin
—
http://colorist.org
http://rob.colorist.org