[Tig] Scanity in 16bit

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Nov 10 15:32:48 GMT 2014

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014, Carl Skaff via Tig wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Maybe this forum is a faster way to get support:
>
> I'm trying to scan in 16bit on my Scanity... but the DPX comes out in the
> wrong "channel order".
> Instead of the normal RGB it seems as it is BGR, I need to swap Red and
> Blue to make it look correct.
>
> Any ideas?

The DPX 2.0 specification (SMPTE 268M-2003) is a bit unclear/ambigious
and vendors have accidentally or intentionally produced formats which
result in wrong channel order as compared with the DPX 1.0
specification and original Cineon system.

Original DPX put all data in 32-bit words so the 16-bit samples would
be packed into 32-bit words which might be big/little endian.  Due to
interpretation (and likely influence from TIFF), Filmlight decided to
output 16-bit DPX as a linear array of 16-bit samples rather than
packed into 32-bit words.  This changes the apparent order.  While
16-bit DPX dates from the original Cineon system, a Filmlight scanner
was used to produce the original STEM scans used as basis for DCI
development, and 16-bit was not common before that time so Filmlight's
approach has become the common way to store the data.

I paper I wrote about the DPX 2.0 specification confusion may be found
at "http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/dpx/dpx-issues.pdf".

Unless you can cause your scanner to output samples differently, you
are faced with post-processing all the files (e.g. GraphicsMagick can
do that) or hopefully telling the DPX reader to re-order the samples.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn